November 14, 2009

Criminal Minds


Being the nice trusting person that I am, I recently allowed a girl to "make a phone call" using my cell phone while I was at school. Well this person completely abused my generosity and trust as she decided to keep the phone, walking off with it. Now I'll take the blame for being 'dumb' enough to believe a stranger would do the right thing and return the phone to its rightful owner, but with the theft if left me wondering why people steal phones?

From my point of view it is one of the most senseless crimes. In the near 5 years I've been a cell phone user I have had two cell phones stolen, neither instance made any sense to me. The first time it happened to me, a man lost his job because he wouldn't return the phone (he was seen on camera taking the phone). And this is all over what? What exactly are you stealing when you steal a phone? How hard up for cash are you if you're stealing phones to being with? Can you even afford the plan needed to make the theft worthwhile?

A stolen phone is nothing more than clutter because the phone is usually rendered useless within an hour of its theft. You can't do anything you would normally do with phones, so leave phones alone. Plus there are pre-paid phones or providers who make owning a phone as cheap as possible, so go get you own! You're not saving much by stealing one. If you're going to become a criminal do so over something that will make it worth it.

No comments: