December 15, 2009

Merrrrrry Christmas

'Tis the season to be jolly, blah blah blah blah blah blah-blah blaaaaaaah. I know this is about 95% of the people's favorites time of year, but I'm just not feeling Christmas and haven't since I was maybe 7. Call me a Grinch, but the holiday spirit that made the Grinch's heart grow 3 times it's size doesn't exist. The season has very little meaning, and serves the purpose of providing retailers a few months to work out of the black from.

As a secular nation making a Christian holiday a federal holiday is asking for trouble. Even though Christianity dominates the landscape all it takes is several people with big enough mouths to create a problem, and that's exactly what has happened. So we now have "Christmahanakawanzika" a ridiculous combination of traditions to appease everyone. The problem with appeasing everyone is it water down the true meaning of the holiday/season.

I'm not a zealot or extremely devout, but I was raised Catholic and do believe in the true reason for the season-Jesus. It's supposed to be a celebration of his birth that brings family and friends together, but what the season has become is an obsession with bigger and better things. Christmas is now more about big red bows on cars, video game system bundles, or tickle me Elmos than the coming together of loved ones. When people get trampled at Wal-Mart or fist fights break out in aisles because Timmy or Sally HAVE to have 'x' or else Christmas will be ruined for them-guess what? It's already ruined! These kids already value the material more than the season, so sure call me a Grinch for not being excited enlighten the people of America my heart won't do any growing.

No comments: