July 24, 2009

Perfection

Having a day job in the city of Chicago is far from convenient for baseball fans. The Cubs play about 50 of their 80 home games without turning the lights on and the White Sox play their fair share of games before the promotional 7:11 pm. Yesterday at U.S. Cellular Field, White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle out did himself. Already having a no-hitter under his belt, against the Rangers in 2007, Buehrle became the 18th pitcher in Major League history to throw a perfect game. That is 27 hitters up, 27 hitters down; no hits, no walks, no errors, perfection. And I almost missed it!

The game started at 1, it was the fourth and final game of the series between the Rays and Sox, so it was 'getaway day'. Traditionally the home team will schedule an early game on 'getaway day' to make travel and the next day easier on the other team. But it was also a Thursday, meaning I was scheduled to work, from 7 to 3. However I am lucky enough, or unlucky if you check my pay stub, to have a joke of a job. Meaning I took a lunch break, not supposed to, and went to the neighborhood Chili's.

The game was on and in the top of the 3rd inning when I walked in with the Sox winning 4-0. Obviously at that point in a game a no-hitter or even perfect game is not uncommon, so there was not much attention being paid to what was happening. But once Hawk said, "15 up, 15 down for Buehrle" to conclude the top of the 5th, it was serious. I was immediately texting those who cared and creating a buzz. In typical Buehrle fashion every top half of the inning was crisp, but being on the clock (my shift was nearing its end) I absolutely could not wait for the Sox to finish their turn at bat. I was hoping they would each just bunt the first pitch back to the pitcher to get Buehrle back out there faster.

With each passing inning, out after out, those the Chili's were also edging towards the end of their seats. Text messages began to fly in and of the four people I was texting, three could not watch the game! And you got it, all were work casualties and were extremely jealous of me. Now fully understanding how unpredictable predicting a great game is, especially a perfect one, frustration with work or baseball's schedule is pointless. But I do feel exceptions ought to be made for exceptional occurrences. So the next time Buehrle is en route towards perfection; whether you are at work, making whoopee or even in labor, don't hesitate to take a time out and watch history. Because you all can't be as lucky as I, the $9 per hour employee. Congratulations Mark Buehrle!

No comments: