August 5, 2009

Summah Summah Summahtime

Time flies when you're having fun, so it comes as no surprise that it is August 5, meaning summer is nearly over. However, this year summer in Chicago has felt like anything but, with temperatures and weather patterns resembling those expected in spring and fall. The month of July came and went without a day in which temperatures reached the 90s. That's just not supposed to happen! But when you step back and think about it, you have to ask yourself if it is really a big deal and then if truly has ruined your summer. I say no to both and instead believe it has made summer more enjoyable.

Now I do love my summers of old, which include heat advisories and humidity, but I don't miss them. Are summers really made by the amount of senior citizens who keel over due to heat related issues? Anytime you have to be advised that it is going to be too hot to fully enjoy a day that can't be good. Which is why this 'summer' and its high temperatures in the 80s are perfect. You are provided the break from winter without worrying about losing your grandparents or suffering heat stroke if you decide to have some fun in the sun.

Being in Chicago you can't have high temperature without having to deal with humidity. And having all that moisture in the air makes being outside unpleasant. I have a job that has me outside regardless of the weather conditions. So a summer lacking much humidity has been great. As out of shape as I am, I don't need to look and feel worse as I am drenched in sweat, feeling incredibly sticky because the air is as moist as I am. Aside from just having to be outside, humidity makes playing outside a forgettable experience. Due to excess sweat your shirt and skin become fused together and it feels as though you have added 5 pounds.

I hope my whiny tone has not been off-putting, because I have never complained about it being too hot. But at the same time I never experienced a summer as fake as this current one. So I'm merely just throwing some summer different perspective out there, next time you complain about a summer being too hot remember '09 to, most likely, remind yourself how you had yearned for days in the upper 90s.

1 comment:

Beto said...

Although it has not been super hot all super. with heat waves and such, the weather as a whole, over the course of the summer, has SUCKED. it has been extremely unpredictable, which has mad it difficult to plan activities out doors. beach days are ruined by cloudy days, or rain itself. days that start out nice, become gloomy, and depressing. it has rained whenever u didnt want it to. in my opinion. it the 20 summers i have spent in chicago, this has been the worst weather wise by far.