April 21, 2009

Go Away

Knowing that BUSE whoops tricks on Wednesdays I will not be whooping Kevin Garnett today, instead I will use this space as a tutorial to why you need to hate him. Before going into the many reasons KG ought to be disliked by anyone outside of Boston I do have to admit one thing. I was once KGs number one fan. Throughout all his years in Minnesota I watched him, cheered for him and prayed he would get the point guard his team needed to help earn him the championship he had deserved. And I always ranked him among the best players in the league. I was a Kevin Garnett fan. But after only a year in Boston, my feelings towards Garnett have completely soured.
It all started after the Celtics (who I was rooting for) won the championship last year. During a post game interview Garnett could not help himself from screaming at the top of his lungs a variation of the Adidas slogan (who he is endorsed by) "Anything is possible" (here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjOy7fRzs0). I remember the moment, because I was at a bar while the Celtics were destroying the Lakers and when KG made his famous scream, I looked at all my friends and thought how lame.

After the championship we were bombarded with KG. He was everywhere. In countless Adidas spots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKDhzW9CSDE) to being the pitch man for NBA2K series. Garnett was becoming the NBAs version of a Ja Rule, who for about a year was the hotness in the music world, but after you heard him and JLo tell us their love was for real for about the 8,000th time you knew he needed a vacation. In every spot KG is the same boner we see on the court for 82+ games a year, he does not have the personality to sell products no matter how much he, "loves the Cool Kids".

But if you were not paying attention to television this summer, then how about once the season started this year. His antics if anything were more in the spotlight, from his pregame prayer/sparring with the padding under the basket to his extra devotion to defense even after the whistle blew (If you put a shot up after the whistle Garnett will be sure to block it- because are according to him, "No easy baskets").

Now that Garnett is hurt and the Celtics are playing the Bulls in the playoffs I can not help but wish he was playing. Because the dude is still dominating not only the talk from the booth, but actual air time. Garnett was on TV more than Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro during game 2. Every time he was shown he was either clenching his jaw or screaming obscenities towards the Bulls- for no reason.

As an ex-Garnett fan I am just suffering from severe KG over exposure. All the air time has exposed Garnett for the large lame he is. I guess being in Minnesota you don't get to see what type of guy the player really is because it is a small market. Kevin Garnett it's time for you to fade behind the curtain, your time as a beloved sports figure is over. You are too annoying to root for ever again.

No comments: